Monday, December 16, 2013

Jo-Ann - Part One

It's probably not unusual to say that I have a love-hate relationship with Joann's (really, Jo-Ann, but I'm too lazy to call it that.).  Maybe you do, too.  Our's is teetering though because, as I become more discriminating, the more careful I grow with where and how I spend my clam cash.

Here is my breakdown of this big box store:  

Pros - Coupons! Just about every week it seems I receive coupons either through the official sales mailer, occasional mail flyers, online, and email.  If you're going to Joann's without a coupon, then you obviously have more cash that should be spent elsewhere. I particularly enjoy the total purchase percentage off coupons, even the measly 10% or 20% off ones. 

Con - Not too long ago the coupons were applicable towards magazines. And even absent that, they would have the 10% off mags sale on occasion. Now I never see one.  Do you know how expensive magazines are??? Well, I do, and I was fine with the 10% off arrangement even if it was cheaper to sign up for a subscription. 

Pro - You can sometimes score a good deal on a piece of nice fabric. With said coupon. 

Con - Their signature quilting fabrics are cheap, worthless crap.  The weight is akin to bastiste or voile, not a cotton weight that I feel would withstand any piecing or quilting that I do. Sure, they have their premium line, but the selection is sparse.  As for fashion fabric, I'm not terribly impressed. 

Pro - Occasionally, you get an awesome sale, and you have to lay down the clams. 

Con - It doesn't matter whether I'm buying a little or a lot, once I approach the registers, a long line appears, and there's goes a quick trip.  Plus, it becomes more and more difficult to bat off my three year old's pleas for gummis and lollipops.  

Major con - Invariably, I am overcharged for something.  This commonly happens when quilting or knitting books are on sale, but apparently only specially labeled ones are discounted.  

Pro - You can pick up patterns for almost nothing. (I still remember paying full price for patterns, but, back then, it was around $5.)

Con - I'm buying less patterns from the big 4 and paying more attention to independent designers and companies. (Still though, there are a lot of good patterns by the major pattern companies.)

My husband may not believe this, but I have not been to Joann's in a few months, and, the last time I was inside, my purchase was minimal.  Right now, I hardly get excited to open the mailer.  If I need fashion fabric, I head over to a Stone Mountain and Daughter in Oakland.  I especially love their knits, and I'm sure to find the right notion or tool that isn't completely worthless after a few uses. They have quilting fabrics, too, but, for that, I check out the Cotton Patch in Lafayette and my local Beverly's.  My yarn purchases are in a bit of a lull, largely because I have a huge stash. Even so, I hit up the local yarn shops and Beverly's. 

Maybe it's because I live in the Bay Area and there are more choices. Or I'm getting older. Stingier.  You'd probably laugh if I proclaimed to have selective, refined taste. I would, too, because I don't. 

The likely answer?  At base, I no longer have the time, tolerance, or energy for that place. Every time I decide to give it one more try, I end up feeling frustrated and even more discouraged.  Does anyone have similar thoughts? It'd be nice to know that I'm not the only one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment