Wednesday, October 26, 2011

TCB

Believe it or not, I have been taking care of business.  Knitting on a consistent basis means that I have managed to stick to only a few projects and to make some progress.

Over the last weekend, I finished the back of SFR's sweater.  Whew.  He loves the color, but I guess compared to most other projects, it's not terribly exciting.  He doesn't want all that fancy stuff.  That's fine as long as he actually wears it when I'm done.  I haven't casted on for the front yet, but I did pick up more yarn. 

I'm using the basic pullover pattern from Knits Men Want: the Ten Rules Every Woman Should Know Before Knitting for a Man by Bruce Weinstein.  I love this book.  For the most part, it contains very basic patterns for knit.  The best part?  It covers those gauges with half stitches, i.e. 5 1/2 stitches to 1 inch.  As a huge fan of Ann Budd's books, I like having patterns with multiple gauges.  Here though, Bruce incorporates half stitches, which means I don't have to work too hard to get gauge.  Beyond that, there aren't a lot of goofy patterns or details as in Never Knit Your Man a Sweater (Unless You've Got the Ring)

Stats:  Paton classic wool yarn.  Size 7 needles.  Gauge:  5 stitches = 1 inch.  The book recommends not using yarn that is expensive or exotic, given the low deference of care by the wearer.  I'm inclined to agree.

The cardi for Jbug is certainly coming along very well, too.  Over the weekend, I finished the right front, and I casted on the left front.  In retrospect, I should have knitted both fronts at the same time, but, as is, working on one piece at time means that its much easier to pick up and put down. 



This is the right side before I completed it.  I love the ribbing on the edges - mistake rib?  The first row is knitted, and the second row is PI, K1.  I think its one of my favorite stitch patterns.

My most favorite stitch pattern is the broiche stitch - a challenging,  intricate pattern, but very beautiful, IMO.  I haven't even come close to learning all the variations of this pattern, but I hope to make a sweater out of it.  Does anyone have a favorite stitch pattern they enjoy?  I'm sure there are many more that I would like but haven't tried yet.







A couple more pictures before I ship off:

Those curtains.  Its straight forward sewing, but the copious amounts of fabric means maintaining a certain level of patience that I barely managed.  Other than quilting tops, I'm not using to sewing on such a large scale.  I also didn't realize how expensive decorator fabric is marked.  I bought this at Jo-Ann's at $13.00 per yard, and that was the clearance price.

The other [nearly] completed project is on the blocking slab.  Details to come. . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment